Monday, October 26, 2009

Metal Detector Challenge Week 3 (Day 2)

Today's Challenge is a sad story with a happy ending. I received a phone call from a gentleman by the name of Fergus who found my website Metal Detector Hire. He had just been married the day before he called me. While the wedding photographer was taking photos of his Bride Simone, her 2 hour old wedding ring slipped off her finger and into the harbour. I can not even begin to imagine how she felt.
I really don't like diving in Sydney Harbour, the water is murky and there is LOTS of boat traffic (not to mention sharks). But how could I say no to helping Simone and Fergus considering these circumstances? The plan was to conduct the search yesterday, but due to poor weather I had to cancel. Although today was overcast, the wind had dropped so Fergus and I met up at Pier 4, Walsh Bay Sydney. As I was gearing up, a guy walked passed questioning what we we're doing. When Fergus mentioned I was looking for a wedding ring the guy laughed and said you will never find it in there, it is over 60ft deep! This was not great for my confidence, I was already dreading going under...but as always I was determined to find the ring. Once in the water, I began to release the air from my BCD, and slowly sunk to the bottom. It was an eary feeling, getting darker with each meter I descended. I finally hit the bottom at around 12 meters deep (around 36 feet?). The moment I hit the bottom the silt stirred up and made the murky water worse. I took a few moment to compose myself, let the silt settle and began the hunt. The ring had only been underwater for a few days, so I it could not have sunk very deep. So I ignored any signal that could not be detected by my pinpointing device, which has about a 3 inch detection range. First signal that was in pinpointing range was a shining 18 CT White Gold Ring. Wow, you have no idea how happy I was to have found the ring. Not only for the sake of returning the ring to Fergus and Simone, but because I really wanted to get out of the water and quick! When I finally surfaced with the Ring in my hand, Fergus could not believe it. I had only been under for about 10 minutes, so it turned out to be a speedy job. Fergus called his wife to tell her the great news, and she even had a quick chat to me. You can tell when people 'REALLY' appreciate what you have done for them, and Fergus and Simone we're incredibly thankful for what I did. In fact Fergus was so grateful he gave me an overly generous reward of $700. This really boosts things for week 3 of the challenge. I may even take tonight off :)

No comments:

Post a Comment