Sunday, October 18, 2009

Metal Detector Challenge (Day 1 - Week 2)

Well guys, there was a change in plan with the first day of week two. My strategy was to hunt the low tides for deep gold/silver rings, but circumstances changed this. I was emailed by a gentleman named Clayton who lost his wedding ring while cleaning his boat. The ring fell overboard in about 1.5/2 meters of water. He had a good idea where it fell so I packed my metal detector and scuba gear and drove to Brisbane Waters which is a good hour plus drive north of Sydney. What I thought should be a relatively easy job turned into a 6 hour search, without any success. I am really not sure what went wrong with this hunt. The surface was mud and seaweed, but I was still able to squash the seaweed down enough to get the coil close to the mud surface. I found many pieces of junk, but no gold wedding ring. Clayton and his family had to leave as it was a long day for his children. When the sun finally went down I gave up the search. When I got back to my gear I found that Clayton had left me $205, which was very generous of him considering I did not find the wedding ring. Somewhere between the walk from the boat to my car I managed to lose the $5, but hey...better than losing one of the $50's :) While I was still up north I decided to metal detect a beach in a suburb called Avoca. I was pretty worn out from the scuba diving, but figured I had about an hour or 2 left in me. The tide was high when I arrived, so I decided to hunt the dry sand. This area is obviously less hunted by other metal detectorist's than Sydney beaches, pulling in $33.25 worth of modern currency from less than 2 hours metal detecting. I would have loved to keep hunting this area, but I was physically exhausted so it was time to call it a night. As for expenses and budgeting over the weekend, I did not do so well. I spent $90 on dinner and drinks Friday night, plus another $20 for the taxi ride home. I will total all expenses at the end of the week.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Brad
    I am based in the UK and someone posted a link to your blog on my favourite detecting forum - detectorist.co.uk

    I am following your challenge with great interest. Keep up the good work !! Have you considered setting up your dfx to only find the larger denomination coins ? It maybe a better and more profitable use of your time.

    ReplyDelete