Saturday, October 31, 2009

Metal Detector Challenge Week 3 (Day 5)

I woke up early this morning to pickup my dive partner for a scuba job in Sydney Harbour. We had to meet Rick at 7am. Rick called a few days back requesting I help him find his wedding ring which he lost off the side of his boat. The boat was anchored in the Harbour, just across from the Opera House in about 12 meters depth (36') of water. Rick mentioned he saved the GPS co-ordinates of where the boat was positioned when the ring fell over board. As we know, GPS units are only really accurate 10-30 meters, but he believed he could get us reasonably close to where the ring dropped, and I told him I would be happy to help out. Rick was aware the chances of recovering his ring are very slim, but like most people, he wanted peace of mind that he did actually try something. So by 7am, we are in Ricks boat with all our gear, heading in the direction of the lost ring. Rick anchors the boat at the point he believes the ring to be, and we jump in the water and follow the anchor chain down to the bottom. After seeing how poor visibility is on my last harbour search, I decided to setup a rope and lead weight system which I call 'the clock'. This will allow us to search blind. This system worked a charm. I have added a little diagram for those of you who ever need to conduct a search in low/zero visibility. The unfortunate part of the day was we we're unable to find Ricks lost wedding ring even after covering close to 200 Square meters of sludge bottom. Rick mentioned his wedding ring was made by the creator of the rings from "Lord Of The Rings". Hopefully I will be heading back on Tuesday for a second search. Rick believes he can position the boat in an even closer position this time round. Fingers crossed! Challenge wise, Rick paid me $150 search fee, $50 of that I gave to Matt my diving partner. P.S, the shark shield must have worked, I did not get attacked :)

No comments:

Post a Comment