Monday, November 9, 2009

Metal Detecting Challenge (Final Day)

Today was my last day of the Metal Detecting Challenge. I spent this time doing two searches. One at an old park with my friend Tony from Jewellery Rescue, and second search was helping some former students of Haberfield Primary School locate a Time Capsule they buried in 1974! The park search was reasonably non eventful, yielding $33.50 in modern currency in about 2 hours work. Both Tony and I we're feeling unmotivated and decided to call it a night. Then this morning I received a phone call from Melissa, who is a former student of Haberfield Primary school. Melissa and some former students have been searching for a Time Capsule they buried over 35 years ago! I mentioned I would be happy to come out and help. The problem with locating the buried Time Capsule was everything had changed at the school in that 35 years. New trees, new basketball court, even an entry road into the school had since disappeared! The students we're only 8 years old when they buried the Capsule, so they we're not exactly sure of the location. They recall inserting a Coke Can in the Capsule, which would be the only way I could find it with the metal detector. I began to scan the area they felt it might be, only to find out that the area was scattered with junk. Every swing of the detector would send off 3 or more signals. And to make matters worse there was a huge Electricity box near by which was interfering with both my detectors. While the former students tried to recall the burial position, I continued poking around the area...listening for deep targets. After more discussions we decided it was impossible to locate using a metal detector. Melissa is going to contact the ABC and go through the old video archives. Apparently where was video footage at the time the school originally buried the capsule. Hopefully this footage will help identify the area the capsule was buried. So total for the final day of the challenge, $33.50 Coins, and $50 search fee totalling $83.50.

No comments:

Post a Comment