Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Metal Detecting Challenge Summary

After adding up all the figures for the past 30 days, it would seem I ended the Challenge $36.64 in front after subtracting living expenses. There are a few things I should note. Without revenue generated from my recovery service Metal Detector Hire I would not have survived. This added an extra $1300 to the total. In fact, without this I would have barely been able to cover rent alone. Secondly, except for the very first week I did not take the challenge as seriously as I could of. The first week I was just living bare minimum, not going out and living off food only in the pantry. I was also putting in lots of effort with 7-8 hour shifts. But in reality, I could not sustain living this way and quickly went back to my old habits by Week 2. Could I have cut my expenses? Definitely! Could I have worked longer hours, yes! I guess knowing in the back of my mind that I still have money coming in from my other business made me a little slack. In the course of the Challenge I have learned a lot, and feel I have become even more in tune with my metal detectors. Obviously spending 5 days a week for a month detecting will sharpen your skills. I also met some great people on this adventure, and overall I would consider it a positive experience. I would like to thank Tony from Jewllery Rescue for joining me on some of the hunts. Was good to have the company and feeling of safety in numbers at night. I would also like to thank my companion and best friend Wilson (my dog). He was with me for most of the Challenge, and his loyalty towards me is just truly amazing. He barely left my side for the entire month, keeping an eye on things while I had my head down. Also thanks to everyone who has contacted me with words of encouragement. It is very much appreciated. Things I would do different if I was to do another Challenge? Firstly I would do it in the middle of summer. The beaches are packed out meaning more depositors. I would also take the spending side of things more seriously. Meaning no going out on weekends for drinks/dinners etc. And lastly I would put more hours into each nights hunt. I may try a second Challenge in February 2010. I hope you all enjoyed my adventure.

2 comments:

  1. Your blog has made interesting reading Brad. i know it has created quite a bit of interest here in the UK. i started keeping records like this when i started digging full time back in 1981 aged 16, but it was a lot easier back then, as so many of my old hunting grounds have now vanished under concrete.hope the recovery work go's well and you try another month some time in the future. all the best stu in UK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great read Brad!

    You make detecting sound like a great hobby.

    ReplyDelete