Sunday, November 8, 2009

Metal Detector Challenge Week 4 (Night 4)

Hi all, sorry I have been slow with Night 4's update. I have been away for the last 3 days without my laptop. Anyway, enough of the excuses and on with the Challenge. Night 4 was an interesting night to say the least. I went to a park not far from where I live. Every Sunday they have a market day on, which is very popular. My plan was to hunt this park around 9pm, but the rain ruined this plan. I was looking out the window deciding if I should even bother going out tonight, and then the rain seemed to almost stop. So I grabbed Wilson and my Whites DFX Metal Detector and drove to the park. By the time I arrived it would have been around 10pm, and the area was still busy with near by restaurants/bars. Thankfully this park is kind of fenced off, so there is no reason for anyone to take a short cut walking though it (in other words no annoying drunks), and I figured the very light rain would keep the idiots indoors. About an hour into my hunt, something very strange happened. I heard someone yelling out to me. I looked up and saw a guy on the other side of the wire fence. He was yelling out "whats with the red light??" I wear a head lamp at night, which has a choice of a bright LED light, or the softer red light. I switch on the red light when recovering targets in hope of not attracting too much attention to myself. Well this had the opposite effect this night. I took my earphones off and walked toward the guy..and asked him whats up? At closer glance, this guy looked like a gangster...tattoos everywhere and a chunky ring on every finger. His eyes kept darting towards my Lesche digging tool, which basically looks like a massive Rambo knife. Not wanting to seem like a weak target, I said 'yeah what about the red light?' ...I looked across the road and saw another 4 guys hop out of the car. Anyway after explaining to the guy I use the red light to see in the dark (trying not to sound like a wise guy), he ran back over to the 4 other guys. I saw them looking over at me and Wilson. They jumped back in the car and did a few drive by's. I grabbed Wilson and put him in the car, and got the hell out of there. This is the only time I have ever felt uncomfortable while metal detecting. I have no idea what these guys wanted, or what they we're intending to do...but it wasn't worth sticking around to find out. Anyway, in my hour and a half of hunting, I did manage to do OK. I found $15.55 in coins, and $6.74 (12 Grams of 925 Silver)... total for the nights brief hunt $22.29. I intend on going back to that park for the final night of this challenge.

1 comment:

  1. Brad, look after yourself out there, head phones, dark park all add up to high risk, …good luck..... Mike

    ReplyDelete